Thursday, June 30, 2011

my other big project

Posted by PicasaThis is where I am at with my eagle quilt.
This is the pattern I am using

I hope to have more progress to show soon

Monday, June 27, 2011

June update

So here is the progress so far on my stained glass quilt, or as close as I can get to an overall picture.
The very centre needs the bias on the dove.
The next border only has a small amount done on the right, above the corner rose.

There will be a black border after this and before the outside flower blocks.
Six of the flower blocks are finished, and each of the others has some of the bias applied.

Top left hand flower corner.

Down the left side

Further down the left side.

The bottom left corner.

Bottom right corner.

Up the left side

Further up the left side.

Top right hand corner

Posted by PicasaThese are the finished blocks.
I am currently working on the other three tulip blocks.

Monday, May 23, 2011

lace finishes

This beaded lace cowl was made from yarn left over from previous lace projects.
It was my first attempt at knitting in beads.
I used the method where you thread the beads on the yarn first.
I wasn't that happy with the end results.
The beads didn't sit exactly where I wanted them.
I should perhaps have used larger beads but I wanted to use what I had.

I enjoyed knitting this feather and fan shawl from "A Gathering of Lace"
It was knitted in Knitpicks lace yarn.

This lace scarf is for me. Part of my learning curve in lace knitting.
I need to learn to read the pattern more closely.
On the first end I did "pick up and knit" instead of "pick up".
This resulted in the end panel each facing in a different direction ( you can't see that in the photo, I have turned one end over so that they look the same).
The pattern is from Jane Sowerby.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

three blocks done

These are the next three blocks finished for my stained glass quilt.
So I now have all four rose blocks completed for the corners.
The next ones to tackle are the four tulip blocks.
One is finished, three to go.
The first round of bias is already tacked in place.
Making time for and getting preparation done seems to be an important part to keeping me moving on a project.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Is this progress?

It looks like a bunch of witches hair, but it is actually metres of prepared bias.
I cut, fold and baste the bias before using it.
This quilt was started in the days before iron-on bias was invented.
With the amount of bias this quilt requires ( about 184 yards of 1/4 ", 5.5 yards of 3/8", and 7 yards 1/2 ") it is way more cost effective to make my own.
I have managed to empty a cotton reel as well, a good use for older cotton.
I have been basting the first round on many of the blocks, so will have some progress photos soon.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

First heirloom project for 2011

I am hoping that this year will be the first of several years of finishing heirloom projects.
The first one was started about 18 years ago.
My first exposure to this quilt happened about 20 years ago.
I had moved to the country and taken up patchwork.
I had started my first quilt, met someone who did quilting ( I had never even seen a real quilt before) and she took my along to the local quilting group.
I saw someone working on this quilt, stitching the bias on by hand, and while I thought it was stunning, I also thought the person was NUTS but be doing such a massive project like that.
Fast forward two years and I had done two terms of quilt classes and was thoroughly hooked.
I was looking through a catalogue and saw "that quilt"again.
Only this time my reaction was "I would love to make that" .
I managed to get hold of the book and set about purchasing the fabrics I needed.
I didn't have a stash back then, and it needed 68 different plain fabrics.
This was in the days before hand dyed etc. which would give the quilt now a more authentic stained glass look.
All the patterns had to be enlarged, traced onto the foundation squares, then all the 'glass' cut out.
I initially pinned all the glass in place, but later basted it all.
I knew this was going to be a long term project and didn't want a) pieces falling off, or b) rust stains from pins left in.
I elected to made the bias by hand. It needs about 186 yards and I wanted to be sure the quality was going to be good.
Life got in the way as it does with 4 young children and lots of other activities.
The quilt came out from time to time and then disappeared into the box again.
This time I am hoping to keep working on it.
This is the current state of play.
Behind the dove has the bias, it need some on the wings and most of the border has to be done.

The gentian is finished.

One corner rose is finished, there are four of these.

One tulip is finished, there are four of these.

This shows the rose before and after the bias is added.

Here is the tulip before and after the bias.
There are 22 flower blocks in total around the outside.
Stay tuned for progress.