Saturday, August 10, 2013

A pleasing finish

This top had been in the cupboard for about 10 years.
I used it as a teaching sample for an advanced patchwork class.
The stitching was by hand.

 Grandmother's Fan

Tumbling blocks
  Drunkards Path variation

Reverse appliqué butterfly and flowers ( my design)

Double Wedding ring

Flying Swallows

I machine quilted the top, firstly with the walking foot and then free motion quilting.
I traced the design onto Golden Threads paper
Layered as many squares as I needed, free motion stitched through the layers without cotton in the needle and that gave me the perforated designs ready to pin onto the squares and quilt through. The paper was then torn away.

Here is a closer look at one of the finished quilted squares.

I was not very happy with the quilting in the border. I had not pinned the border properly and there was some puckering on the back but it looks fine from the front.

This was the last quilt that I had basted ready to quilt so that feels like a good accomplishment.
I do have some more tops finished that are yet to be basted, so after I have finished three more charity quilts I will get the next tops basted.
My goal is to get caught up on the tops waiting to be machine quilted and then to keep up with my quilting in the future.

1 comment:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Love that drunkards path variation. I remember when you were teaching this class. Well done!

So far this year I've gotten a quilt basted, and added 3 more tops and backs to that pile. Which just about equals no progress forward at all!